We have over a dozen years of experience custom-building academic intervention and social/emotional support programs for the highest need students in our community.
Our tutoring program focuses on students’ emotional well-being as a critical strategy for improving their academic achievement, and consistently delivers measurable results in student outcomes. As school partners, we custom-build programs to meet the unique needs of each of our school communities.
Our culturally-relevant, skilled, and passionate Academic Mentors:
• Provide individualized support to students in the context of their classrooms, filling in the skill and content gaps necessary for them to grasp the classroom instruction offered
• Offer targeted and intensive one-on-one and small group tutoring to their caseload of students
• Support the development of positive school and classroom culture through a focus on social and emotional learning
In partnership with the Alameda County Office of Education and its community school sites, we have developed and implemented a youth-led after-school program for a population which had not previously had access to these kinds of opportunities.
The program includes:
• Career and college development programming, aimed at supporting students to navigate opportunities beyond high school
• Gender-responsive restorative justice circles for our young women and men
• Student leadership programming which empowers students to use their voice in service of their school communities
• Enrichment opportunities for students to explore their talents and interests
• Legal justice education
• Academic support to ensure that students remain on track to succeed and graduate!
In partnership with the City of Oakland, Oakland Unified, and Alameda County alternative high schools, our Oakland Unite violence prevention grant provides a comprehensive set of services designed to transition students into successful adult education and employment opportunities.
The project features:
• One-on-One Academic Mentorship, including tutoring, accelerated credit recovery & test preparation supports
• Individualized Continuing Education Planning, including dual-enrollment in community college, career technical education & pre-college programs
• Career Exploration Programming, including after-school enrichment courses, work readiness training & financial literacy skill building
• Personalized Paid Internship/Externship Experiences, including leadership and community service activities, placement with aligned employers inside and outside of the school community, and ongoing supports that allow our students to successfully manage their new responsibilities and persist in the face of personal and professional obstacles
GIRLS MOVING FORWARD
When girls lack self-confidence, when they are distracted by social problems in their peer groups, and when they internalize social messages that punish intelligence in women, they learn to turn their focus away from their academic abilities. Our tutoring and mentoring program turns the focus back to our girls’ talents and capabilities, with the support of a crew of connective, engaging, and accomplished women!
Our girl-centered programs began in 2003, and remain a critical strategy in our tireless effort to eradicate educational inequity.Our girl-centered programs began in 2003, and remain a critical strategy in our tireless effort to eradicate educational inequity.
We remain committed to eliminating the gender-confidence gap, envisioning a world in which all girls are encouraged to fully develop their intellectual, creative, and leadership abilities.
Despite the fact that many students struggle in school, studies have shown that girls in particular experience a dramatic drop in confidence at the onset of adolescence.
Junior high school girls, once as confident as their male classmates, suddenly feel less successful at school, particularly in the subjects of math and science.
This documented drop in confidence has a major impact on girls’ academic performance—their grades drop with their faltering self-esteem.
We’ve built an academic mentorship program dedicated to supporting the competence and confidence of girls–both in and out of the classroom.
We understand the social issues that girls face in school, and integrate curricula and group activities that build confidence, positive body-image, healthy friendships, leadership, teamwork, and self-esteem in each of our girls. Girls leave our program not only doing better academically, but also being better equipped to succeed in life.